Information for all Participants
The 3rd AS conference will take place online due to the global corona pandemic. The conference language is English. We use two interconnected online conference systems:
- All lectures are carried out with the well-known ZOOM system. Most participants should be familiar with it. In the conference booklet you will find links that will take you directly to the corresponding online room. If you have not yet used ZOOM, you will be prompted to install a client or use the web interface.
- We also use the Gather conference system. Gather consists of several virtual 2D rooms through which you move in the form of an avatar. You can meet other conference participants in these rooms during the lecture breaks and talk to them. From Gather, you can join the ZOOM lecture rooms and switch back again afterwards. In addition, the poster session will take place in Gather (see ‘Info for Oral Presenters’).
In order to be able to use the ZOOM lecture rooms and the Gather space, all participants will receive an invitation email with a program booklet and a link to register for Gather around one week before the start of the conference. You will also find information on using Gather in the program booklet (which will be sent to the registered participants). You have to register once at Gather with your full name. This is necessary so that other participants in the conference can recognize and contact you.
We offer all participants a short introduction to Gather a few days before the start of the conference. We will announce the date in the invitation email.
Important note: A registration is mandatory in order to participate in the conference. You can register here for free. Anyone who is not registered does not have access to the ZOOM & Gather conference systems. We would like to point out that all speakers and chairs must also register.
Info for Oral Presenters (Keynote Lectures and Parallel Sessions)
All lectures will take place in different ZOOM rooms. You will find the relevant links in the program booklet or in the Gather event calendar (see ‘Info for all Participants’). We ask all speakers to be in the conference room of their session 15 minutes before the start. There you will be welcomed by a conference staff member and the chair of the session. The staff member will test your internet connection with you. The presentation time is:
- Keynote lecture presentation: max. 30 minutes plus 10 minutes for discussion (40 minutes in total)
- Parallel session presentation: 15 minutes plus 5 minutes for discussion (20 minutes in total)
- Special event: separate regulations
Your presentation - PPT, PDF, etc. - is shared by you in ZOOM (‘Share screen’) and therefore controlled by yourself. The chairs are required to adhere to the presentation time and to shorten the time for the discussion if overdrawn.
Infos for Poster Presenters
In Gather we have prepared a room in which all posters are accessible to all participants from the beginning to the end of the conference. By bringing their avatar closer to your poster, participants can view the poster and chat with you as the presenter.
During the poster session on Thursday, September 30, 14: 00-15.00, poster presenters are expected to stay with their poster to get in contact with other conference interested participants and answer their questions. It is carried out in the poster room of Gather and not in ZOOM. Therefore, we kindly please ask you to get acquainted with Gather. We use it to simulate a real poster session as in a face-to-face conference. Please note the following information for the poster:
- Prepare a poster that contains all the main content of your paper in large type and in diagrams.
- Use a suitable program for the creation (e.g. Power Point, Word, TeX).
- The poster should be in a high-resolution and ideally in portrait format. A DIN format is recommended.
- Save the poster as a JPG or PDF file. Maximum file size is 3MB.
- The poster can be viewed on the PC like a normal PDF document or picture. That means it is possible to zoom in / out of the picture, or to scroll up / down.
- Send the poster to the following email address by Monday, September 27th, 6:00 pm at the latest: firstname.lastname@example.org
Info for Chairs (Keynote Lectures and Parallel Sessions)
All lectures will take place in the ZOOM rooms of the conference, with one ZOOM room provided for each session. You can find the link in the program booklet or in the Gather event calendar (see ‘Info for all Participants’). We kindly ask all chairs to be in the conference room 15 minutes before the start of the session. A staff member will test the internet connections as well as the sharing of the presenter’s screen. Please welcome the presenters. Your major task is to make sure that the presenters stick to the presentation time:
- Keynote lectures: max. 30 minutes plus 10 minutes for discussion (40 minutes in total)
- Parallel sessions: 15 minutes plus 5 minutes for discussion (20 minutes in total)
- Special events: separate regulations
If the presenters exceed the time, we ask you to shorten the time for discussion if necessary.
In case of extraordinary events (failure of a lecture or connection problems), please contact one of the conference staff members.